Developing a Communications Plan
Below are some questions to consider when developing a communication plan for your healthcare organization. These questions are not exhaustive; instead, they are intended to initiate and facilitate a conversation around necessary aspects of the communication plan.
-Which local and state authorities should be contacted during an emergency?
- How do the authorities vary in different types of emergency situations?
- How might the means of communication differ depending on the emergency or the authorities being notified?
- What is the proper chain of command to communicate with various government entities?
- Consider a communications plan matrix to help Incident Commanders determine who to contact and how?
-What does the facility need to communicate to authorities in the event of an emergency?
- How does the facility convey to local and state authorities their ability to help others?
- How are supply and other needs communicated to local and state authorities during an emergency?
- How is the condition or status of the organization communicated to government authorities?
-What other organizations need to be contacted during an emergency
- What should be communicated to NWHRN and how?
- How will site diverts be communicated if primary communications are down?
- Do mutual aid agreements or assistance plans exist with sister organizations to provide assistance during an emergency? How will these organizations be contacted in an emergency?
-How are occupancy levels communicated to local and state authorities during an emergency?
- Learn more about occupancy systems used in the region
-How are vendors informed of changing supply requirements if you are unable to contact your vendors?
- Do your supply chain managers have a plan for emergency delivery of supplies even if you are unable to communicate with them?
- Does your vendor have alternate methods of communicating in an emergency?
- How will your Pharmacy or Transfusion Departments make emergency requests for supplies?
-What redundant means of communication exist?
- PACE Plans
- Communication Systems inventory
-Is there a community public communications plan, how will the Strategic Communications or Public Relations team support these efforts?
– Are there systems or methods for mass communications to staff and physicians?
ResourcesASPR TRACIE Communication Systems website